since I had t and sold one during my adventure with this and now testing it with windows 7 I figured it would be cool to share this info. How to make a personal video recorder using the PVR software.
To do this I simply got the Hauppauge / Mainconcept MCE encoder from the Hauppauge support site and installed just the encoder manually. Here is how:
• You will need to get the -http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/support/support_mce.html – WinTV-PVR Media Center driver CD version zip file.
• Extract the contents to a permanent directory on your hard drive.
• You can’t simply install the software encoder because it is not designed for use with the WinTV 878 card so you must do it manually.
• Open the SofwareEncoder_Setup_1_1_24013.exe (or ta similar looking file) using something like WinZip or WinRAR so you can see its contents.
• Extract the full contents to the permanent directory.
• Open the MS-Dos Command prompt and navigate to the permanent directory using the CD command to change directory (search google for help using the command prompt if you are not sure how to do this).
• When you are in the permanent directory type REGSVR32 Mceesmpeg.ax at the command prompt
• This should bring up a dialogue box stating it has being installed, just simply press okay and you are done. You should now be able to use your Hauppauge WinTV 878 Tuner card with Windows media Center entertainment plus various PVR software such as Media Portal.